Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Posted in Diocese, News of religious communities

Who are the consecrated of the diocese?

Who are the consecrated of the diocese?


JERUSALEM – The 2nd of February is traditionally the day of consecrated life. Many communities take advantage of this day to renew their oaths. It is a good opportunity to write up a summary of religious and nuns of the Holy Land

 Which head of a congregation, which founder, which Abbott has not dreamed of starting a congregation in the Holy Land or in Jerusalem, to worship in the vicinity of the Holy Places, to protect and to uphold them?

The Catholic Church of the Holy Land is enriched by the presence of many orders and congregations who came to witness and serve Mother Church of Jerusalem. According to their own charismas, they receive and fulfill missions of prayer, of witness, of charity, of education and of brotherhood.

The first to arrive in the Holy Land, after the Muslim invasion at the onset of the millennium, are the Franciscans. The Custody of the Holy Land, founded in 1217, is the largest community present in the Holy Land. In addition to guardianship of most of the Holy Places, they lived scattered out over 31 convents, running schools, training centers and several parishes. They are also present in Cyprus in three over four parishes, and in Jordan, namely in Amman or on Mount Nebo.

There are nowadays 30 religious male orders and congregations holding convents scattered over all the Holy Land. Coming from different origins they run worshipping missions in monasteries, or support missions in schools, in hospitals, in universities, as well as social programs. Among the major congregations there are the Salesians, La Salle Brothers, the Benedictines of the Dormition, the Dominicans at the Biblical School, the Trappists of Latroun, the Missionaries of the Verb Incarnate in Gaza, the Carmelites in Haifa since 1631, and the White Fathers.

There also also 73 orders and female religious congregations in the Holy Land. The most noteworthy is the Congregation of the Sisters of Rosary, founded in 1880 by Blessed and soon to be canonized Marie Alphonsine Ghattas. The sisters run a number of schools and institutions and serve as well in certain Latin parishes.

The first congregation came to the Holy Land in 1848: the Sisters of St Joseph of the Apparition. Until this day they run schools and hospitals, while upkeeping a presence in parishes and in an elderly home.

The Holy Land includes many other congregations: the Carmelites of Bethlehem at the monastery of the Blessed Marie of Jesus Crucified, the Franciscan Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, the Sisters of St Dorothee, the Nuns of Bethlehem at Bet Gemal and Deir Rafat, the Franciscan Missionary Sisters of Mary, the Daughters of Charity of St Vincent of Paul, the Sisters of Our Lady of Zion, the Younger Sisters of Jesus, the Combonians, the Missionaries of Charity of Mother Theresa, the Sisters of St Brigitte, the Franciscans of the Sacred Heart, the Sisters of Adoration of the Most Holy Sacrament or the Sisters of the Incarnate Verb.

We may add on top of these congregations some 20 institutes of Consecrated Life in the Holy Land.

 

Pierre Loup de Raucourt