Pages Menu
Categories Menu

Posted in Diocese, Parishes in Jerusalem and Palestine

Aboud Parish

The Location: sf

Aboud is a small village that lies in the east north of Ramalla. It is considered as one of the ancient villages in Palestine. Historians mentioned that Aboud is an old village and it was called city of flowers. They added that its inhabitants were so many. Aboud in Arabic means worshipping and it is called Aboud because it used to have many churches. The number of its people exceeds 2500 people, Muslims and Christians, who live together in it. Many Palestinian who were forced to abandon their villages and cities in 1948 war came to live in it. In the mean time many people of its inhabitants left it to live somewhere else, and their number goes beyond 4000.

Ge0-Historical Context:

Historians believed that there were seven churches in the village in the past and this could be an indication of the number of its people in the past, which was so great. Six churches didn’t last long enough and only one church that remains until now. This church is called the church of Virgin Mary that was built at the time of Saint Helena (Queen Helena). Some of its people thought that the church was built when the church of the Holy Sepulchre was built in Jerusalem.

The Palestinian Ruins Authority has renovated the church recently and some mosaics were found. Some ruins of the old churches can be seen in the village such as the ruins of the Anastasia church and the ruins of saint Siman on which a Latin Church was built in 1952.

The village is famous for its olive trees and grapes. People in it always depend on olive trees for their daily life. In the village there are three olive-oil factories. Now many of its youths are well educated and qualified and have good jobs in the prive and public sectors. Aboud has a good site; it is near the way to the coast and to Jerusalem.

Another village lies near it, it is called Deir Abu Mushal in Arabic it means sending off light- that enabled people in the past to visit the city of flowers, Aboud.

The Latin Patriarchate School:doc._4_Foto_Aboud

There are four schools in the village, two secondary state schools one for boys and the other for girls. The third school is the Latin Patriarchate School that was built in 1910 together with monastery. The Patriarch Brako sent a young priest named father Bshara saada to stay in the monastery. Later on he bought a piece of land on which he built a school that consisted of two rooms, a hall and a small room for praying. The Rosary nuns started their mission from this school. In 1932 father Zakarya Shomali constructed another two rooms attached to the old ones. After the Second World War, many of its people who used to live in Java and Lud started to come back to their village. This caused an increase in the number of the students in the village. One hundred and twenty two boys were studying at the school run by the Parish Priest and fifty-four girls were studying at the school run by the nuns. So, much space and more rooms were needed to cope with the ever-increasing number of students.

The Patriarch Mansour built a church between the years 1952-1954. The new church was constructed over the ruins of Saint siman Church. In 1956 father Ibrahim Ayyad added the bell-room to the church. In 1962 father Yousef Naamat was appointed as a new priest for the parish. During his service the school was expanded by building another floor and became a secondary one that reached the 11th grade. Tailing and embroidering centers were found to help the women in the village improve themselves and earn their livings.

After father Yousef Naamat had left the village the school level moved backward, and reached the 7th grade because the state school was developed and upgraded.In 1975 father Dominic vigilio constructed a hall that has multi objectives to serve both the school and the Parish. Father Galilee Awwad worked on expanding it later on. Father Al-fonse Salah was appointed in the village as the new priest for the parish. He was able to build a two-storey-building, the first floor was used and utilized for the kindergarten while the other floor was aimed at having different rooms; a computer teaching room, a room for the teachers to rest in and a room to be used as a library.

In recent years the surrounding villages have stared to send their sons and daughters to study at this school. The number of students in this school is 265 half of them come from the surrounding villages. In 1992 a new grade was added to its seventh grades and hopefully will continue upgrading its grades.

The fourth school in the village is a primary one and run by an American foundation affiliated to God church.The school doesn’t develop and the number of its students doesn’t exceed 50 students.

Contact:

Aboud: Our Lady of Seven Sorrows
Pastor: Rev. Yussef Rezeq
Address: P.O.B. 3
Tel: (02) 286 45 26/3 (Scouts)
Fax: (02) 286 45 27
Mobile : 059 773 57 35
059 773 57 35
E-mail: fsamerhaddad@yahoo.fr